Sunday, August 8, 2010

My First Refinishing Job

Last summer, I got an itch to do something new and creative. I got searching through our local classifieds and found this amazing dresser for only $45. It was solid wood, had great design, but I hated the color. A good friend of mine suggested stripping it, then refinishing it...and thus began my love affair with furniture refinishing! 

Before we touched it...
This is after we stripped it down to the bare bones... such great wood! 
I used Minwax Polyshades on this one, it's a stain and polyurethane clear coat in one - I think it was Bombay Mahogany. Since having done other projects, and using regular stain, I've decided that I prefer the 2-step process, rather than the 2-in-1. Still, this color only comes in the Polyshades, and it turned out beautiful; it was just not as easy to make the color even all over. 
Before we put the mirror back on... 
After a few days of working on it, this is how it turned out! I loved it! 

We were going to sell it, but I couldn't bear to part with it...so we kept it for a year. Last month, we decided that it deserved a better home than one where it would be beat up by kids...We sold it within a day of listing it, for triple what we paid for it! Now I'm always on the lookout for solid furniture that could use a little TLC...stay tuned for more fun projects! 
Posted by Picasa  





2 comments:

Alyson Peterson said...

Love it. Love you. Post more and steps on how to do what you do!!!

Terri said...

You did an amazing job!