Monday, August 9, 2010

My second refinish job

Right after our first son was born, a friend brought us this old dresser. They were going to junk it, so we rescued it and I got out my trusty black spray paint. it was nice looking, but I hadn't know what I was doing, and hadn't given it a clear coat, so it was chipping pretty badly. I decided to try another stripping/staining job. 

Before 

I took a paint stripper and just brushed it over in a pretty thick coat. Within minutes it was bubbling and looking pretty cool! 
During 
You have to let it sit like this for a few minutes before you start stripping it off. This took a few coats of stripper to get all the paint off; but really, only about an hour. 

This is what it looked like all stripped and naked...great wood! 

This was right after the first coat of stain. I used Minwax Dark Walnut on this one. I also gave it a thick coat of Minwax Fast-Drying Polyurethane to keep it from getting scuffed as easily.



And here it is in its new home. I've since moved it downstairs to be my craft dresser, but it still looks good as new! It's been over a year now. 


Some of the detail on the dresser. It's really a beautiful piece, even more so now that it's not hiding under a coat of black paint! 

No comments: