Monday, August 9, 2010

The Silhouette

Before I start, let me say that I am in no way affiliated with Silhouette America, I am just in love with their product. They don't know about this blog or post, yet ;) , and I don't receive anything from them for raving about their product. =) Just sayin'. 

When I first read about the Silhouette, I was actually considering buying a Cricut cutter. However, the cost for their cartridges was really making me waver. The Silhouette doesn't use cartridges, it hooks up to your computer and can use any font that you already have on it. They have an online store where you can buy their designs (and there are a MILLION that you're gonna want!) and fonts. You also have the ability to create your own designs and cut them out using the Silhouette. I went to their website, learned everything I could about it, and went on to convince my husband that we needed it. Badly. Before Christmas. When he saw that he'd be able to cut out his artwork with it, he caved. =) 
    
 I was pretty giddy - it came only 4 days after ordering it! 
Since then, I've been going crazy. It came with a roll of vinyl, so of course that was first to experiment with. I love vinyl, and I have it in almost every room in my house. It might be overkill to some people. I love it. :) 
Here are a few things I did with vinyl: 
 
This is our downstairs half-bath. My husband didn't care if it was a little girlie - So I went to town! =D 


This is in our laundry room - I love the intricate designs on the hummingbirds! 

Now, honestly, at first the Silhouette wasn't my friend. It was kind of hard to get to know what pressure and speed to cut with for each type of material - card stock, vinyl, or scrap-paper. After a while of experimenting, I wrote down the right combo for each, and now it works flawlessly. I've made labels for a lot of things, a few No Soliciting signs for family, and they've all worked great. 

So, then I went on to cutting designs in paper. 


I wish I could say I made this window. Nope. I just made the blue scrap-pages. I cut the branches out with my Silhouette, then Mod Podged them on. Even though they were small, the cuts were perfect.


This was a card that I made for a friend. I bought this design from their online store. 

 
And the FAMILY blocks from the last post. 

Overall, I'm loving it. I know that there are a million other things that I can do with this tool, I just haven't had the time to do them! Go to their site and check it out. Quick! Just don't let your husband catch you! =D 

4 comments:

Kim Greer said...

I'm pretty much loving this new blog of yours. I have also been eyeing a Cricut for years now, but I had the same problem with the cartridges. I may just have to look into the Silhouette! Josh is gonna love you! ;)

Tamy said...

Thanks for the signs, I bought some stuff at the craft store for you today. I will be mailing to you I hope you don't mind:) thanks for sharing you craft talent with me. I keep thinking up stuff I want you to make. LOL I hope that is ok? Your house looks great!

Jess said...

Love it! Your making me want one. I have been feeling the same way about the cricut now I will have to look into this option!!!

Chrissie said...

WOW!I want one,all of your projects are great.I have enjoyed visiting your blog, I will be following you.