Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Entertainment center make-over

I love bargain shopping. Around here I love the D.I., but when I say around here, I mean the Layton D.I. The Ogden one has nothing. Don't even bother. Just keepin' it real. :) I went a week or so ago looking for jackets for the kids for school. I found a few steals (like a Gap Kids jacket for Braden, brand new, $3!!!) but what I fell in love with was this....


Isn't she lovely! (Now I have that song in my head!) I didn't need a new ET center. But when I saw this, I fell in love! I walked away from her. Twice. And each time, I swear to you my shoulder angel was saying "You'll regret it." So I listened to my shoulder angel (my hubby may say it was the shoulder devil!) and bought her. For $20. This is a Thomasville piece, folks. NOT a Sauder. This is good furntiture! As I was driving home, I rationalized that I would just fix it up and sell it, make some money. However, when I got home, I saw this unassuming little can of my favorite spray paint, and got all excited. I decided that I was going to convince my hubby to give up our ginormous (albeit, beautiful) Sauder et center, and let me replace it with this smaller one. Painted Bahama Sea blue and distressed. =D


I love this stuff!
Well, folks. It worked! He said yes! I was floored - usually he balks at stuff like this, but he actually caught my vision, and said okay! So, it went onto my back porch, scrubbed down, and off I went!

I didn't used to spray paint with a mask, but one time, after spraying a large piece black, I found myself blowing out black goobers for several hours. Kinda freaked me out. :) Now I always spray with a mask. Also, my Macey's shirt is my go-to painting uniform. It has every color of every room I've ever painted, along with all the crafts I've done. Love it.

Here it is all painted. At this point, I was a bit giddy. I was already loving it. But I had a few other things to do before she was done.
It took me 6 cans of paint!! 


I added this little scrolly thing just for fun...I'm so glad I did. 


I sanded down (or distressed) various places to give it the look I wanted, then I used Minwax Jacobean stain and wiped it all over the entire piece, to darken it up and really distress it. 
This is what it looks like with the stain over it (left) and without (r). I definitely love the distressed look best right now.
And here she is, all finished! I love love LOVE this! I'll be posting pictures of my whole family room later, so you can see how it all came together. This is by far my favorite refinish job ever! 


The inside. We actually downgraded our tv to a smaller one since the original wouldn't fit. (We haven't joined the ranks of flat panel owners yet - as you can see, The Backyardigans are on, and until we watch more than just cartoons, I can't justify the cost!) The funniest thing about this whole thing is that after selling our old et center, we've actually made money on the whole switcheroo! When I figured it out, my hubby told me that I could redo anything I wanted if I made money on it! (Then, after seeing my eyes light up, he told me that I had to talk to him first though. He's so patient with me!) 

So, what do you think? Are you in love like I am? 

Linking to a few parties: 
Posted by Picasa

21 comments:

Kim Greer said...

I was a little skeptical at first, but it looks great! You are so brave! Nice work, especially making money on the whole thing.

decdiva1 said...

that is such a great deal! love the color too! great job! thanks for visiting cottage romance today! i appreciate every visit!

Chic Creations said...

You did a great job. I love the color! Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Candice said...

This is SOOO cute.I love seeing all your fun projects!

Melanie said...

It looks great! You did an awesome job.

Anne said...

Wow, that's super cute!

Lori@ Paisley Passions said...

That is GORGEOUS! Love the color! Funny thing, I have a Macey's shirt just like that one! Mine has paint on it too :)

~Lori @ Paisley Passions

Join myThursday Linky Party
Come enter myGiveaway!

Jerri said...

What a beautiful piece! Nice color!

I would love for you to come by this week and link up at my Friday Favorites party!

Suzanne@thriftstoredecorjunky said...

Ah, love this! One request, though...please write us a tutorial on how you convinced your husband to downsize on not only his entertainment centre, but also his TV!!! LOL

Stacy said...

Great Job!!! I love the color :)

Jenn said...

You guys are all so nice! Thanks so much for the love! Suzanne, I have to say that after a mere 6 years of being married, my husband is learning fast that he can agree to what I'm envisioning - or he can disagree and keep quiet about it! =D Not really, with the TV, it was a 36" monster, and I was always so afraid that if it tipped over on one of the kids it would kill them! He knows our kids well, so as soon as I put that out there, the rest was easy! A smaller tv would look silly on such a large et center! =D See how it all works! (Really, he's just an amazing guy, who puts up with all my crafting because he knows it keeps me sane! Thus the name of the blog!)

3 Giggly Monsters said...

Hello I am a new follower from WW. I would love a follow back at
http://megankayden.blogspot.com/

Beth said...

Love love love this piece! You found a great piece of furniture and definitely did it justice. I've been looking for a reason to use that specific color of paint. :o)

Oh, I'm a new follower from WW!

http://iamdizeliz.blogspot.com/

Meg said...

This is pretty awesome. The color is great. I love what stain can do to a piece. It makes it look all rustic and perfect. Great job!
I'm having a Scentsy giveaway on my blog. Love it if you could join! alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

Have a wonderful day!

Staci J said...

I LOVE that color, and the distressing technique adds so much:) Great job!
Visiting from justsewsassy.com

Ellie said...

I love the new piece and I love the back story! Great job!

Katie P said...

This is a fantastic redo!! Lovin' it!

Katie P
Food, Wine, & Mod Podge

Lauren @ 31diy said...

Wow, it looks really great! That's a lot of spray painting with 6 cans - I bet your arm got tired from shaking the cans so many times. Anyway, it was worth it turned out beautifully!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

What a beyond great fine! $20? Wow! I think it looks great and you're right the distressed is best.

tgazmommy said...

Love this...just a thought though. It might be really cute to add some "feet" to this. You can get some wood finenals...I know I am not spelling that right! They have them at Home Deopt. I would add a little bit of height. Just an idea. It turned out really cute!
I'm at www.kookoointhehoohoo.blogspot.com

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

Still loving this! Thanks SO much for joining in on Thrilling Thursdays @ Paisley Passions. I hope to see you again next week :)
~Lori S.
Thrilling Thursdays @Paisley Passions