Sunday, September 26, 2010

Shabby chic pumpkins

The other day, whilst perusing blogs and loving everyone's fall decor, I came across someone who had used a 2x4 to make pumpkins. I cannot find the blog now, so if it's you, please let me know so I can give credit where it's due. **Edited to add: Janet at Today's Fabulous Finds made some fabulous ones, as well as the crafty lady at It's A Daisy Day - I just can't remember which I saw first! ** Anyway, later that day, I was at Michaels and they had a fabulous little frame with fun flourishes and such, and somehow, I came up with this idea:


I just painted the 2x4's a rusty orange, drilled holes for the sticks, sanded down the sides, and stained. Then, I found some rub-ons at Robert's and just randomly placed them on the pumpkins, finishing it all off with one more coat of stain, since the rub-ons were bright white. I have to admit that they are now my favorite fall craft!

I think it took a grand total of 3 hours (but only because I had to wait for the paint, then the stain to be dry before putting the flourishes on). If I make any more though, I'll be staining them outside. I thought that since it was just a little bit, it would be fine to put it on in the kitchen; my husband adamantly disagrees! (But he's not addicted to the smell of stain, like I am!) =D

And here they are in their new home - so much fun! I think I have a thing for pumpkins this year! Check out this post - Alison over at Oopsey Daisy has an online pumpkin patch! She's showcasing such fabulous ideas! With such fun projects, no wonder fall is my favorite time of year to decorate for! :) 

28 comments:

Chrissie said...

These are super cute. I love them!~

Erin @ Crafts and Sutch said...

These turned out so great! :)

Erin

shabby chic furniture said...

These pumpkins looks so cute , i really like this, just simply superb look.

The Krebs said...

Jenn they are so cute. We need to make me some. I LOVE THEM!!! Can't wait to see them in person. Great job.

Clisty & Lloyd said...

So adorable! I need to get my fall stuff out. You are such an inspiration Jen!

Erin @ Crafts and Sutch said...

I just wanted you to know I featured this project over at Crafts and Sutch for my TO DO Tuesday feature! Thanks so much for sharing. Please come take a peek when you can. :)

Erin
Crafts & Sutch

Andi said...

those are really cute!!! and so simple to make! you are very talented!

Fussy Monkey Business said...

Love these! You did a great job! Visiting from Domestically Speaking.

Sheri@childmade.com said...

Those turned out great! Thanks for sharing ... I've posted a link.

Tammy said...

These are fabulous! I love how they turned out. A very unique spin on pumpkins. The flourishes are the perfect touch. Thanks for sharing.

Janet said...

I love how you finished your pumpkins. Very Cute! I believe it was my blog where you saw them, but the original idea comes from It's a Daisy Day. I may have to add some flourishes to my set too, they look great!

Cristie said...

Jenn your pumpkins are so cool! I really like them. Thanks for sharing.

concretenprimroses said...

Great idea!
Kathy

paperglueetc said...

So Cute!

Denise said...

I love these!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you don't mind. I linked your post to my PORCH AND GARDEN PARTY at firstadream.blogspot.com.

Lori said...

So perfectly fall!

northern cottage said...

very very cute...I love the soft staining that you did to make them more subtle. Hubby doesn't like the aroma of stain eh? Hmmm - isn't that what home is supposed to smell like? lol

Hanna said...

Hi there! I am your newest follower from the Friday blog hop!!! Lovely blog:)You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

Create It Fabulous said...

Love it! New follower from the blog hop!!

http://create-it-fab.blogspot.com/

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

What a fantastic idea!!! Thanks SO much for joining in on Thrilling Thursdays @ Paisley Passions. I love to see the creative talent of other fellow bloggers. Hope you to see you again soon :)
~Lori S.
Thrilling Thursdays @Paisley Passions

Mrs Lemon said...

I really love these! I'm not much for pumpkin decorating, but these look so fun! I can see something like this as a squarish snowman, too. hmmmm....

The Answer Is Chocolate said...

I love those rub ons! They look like a stencil. Really nice job on these!

Jessica Hills said...

Hey! Just wanted to let you know that I featured you today on FTF! Thanks for linking, and grab a Featured button if you would like!

Roszberries said...

I love these pumpkins. I made some too, out of 2x4"s. Mine are a little different though.

Amanda said...

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :)

Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/pretty-wooden-pumpkins/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

Kelsee said...

These are GORGEOUS!!!!! I'm making these! Thanks for the great inspiration! -Kelsee

stephjacobson said...

So cute! I love them!

Nikki@KreativeKnack said...

Just saw these over at UCREATE and they are great! Wonderful job!