Thursday, October 7, 2010

Shabby end tables

This summer I found 2 of these end tables at a garage sale for $10 each. I first thought that I'd fix them up and resell them, but then, I got an idea...:) Shabby 'em up, thought I! 
Here is the before picture - I almost forgot. Not a bad color, but not good with my couches, or the feel that I wanted for the living room. 

I first started with a coat of spray-on Kilz primer. I've never used it before, but when I did the desk, it took SO MUCH white paint to cover all the way. I decided to give it a try. I actually used the spray-on oder-less, but I'm pretty sure the oder-less should be renamed Less-Oder.  I could definitely smell it. 

Here they are, all painted and waiting for distressing. 

Here's the first table done - I over did the drawer, but I'm okay with it. I think. :) 

See what a difference the stain makes! Love it! 
I've had a few requests about how I apply the stain. Here's the most basic it can get. For this project I used Minwax Jacobean stain. 

So, I wipe it on with a foam brush - pretty heavy, but don't freak out! I did the first time I did it. =D

Then using a rag that you don't care about, :) just wipe it off in the direction of the grain. This matters. I learned that the hard way. 

And voila! So nice and chic, don't ya think? 

Here they are, new knobs and all - just itching to come inside! 

This is a side-shot; I love the basket-weave design on the sides! They didn't really show up when it was brown, but now they really pop! 

And here they are, all decorated for fall! 

Overall, I am very happy with my $20 end tables! :) Amazing what a little can of paint and some stain can do!
Oh, and, um, I'm not selling them! :)  

Linking up! 

9 comments:

Chrissie said...

You tables look fabulous and such a good bargain too!

Natalie said...

Those look WONDERFUL!! Now I want to find something to do it to. lol

Kyle and Janell said...

Very cute end tables! I need to get brave and do the stain thing to some of my re-dos!

Biljana said...

Great job, looks so shabby, so beautiful:))
I am your newest follower.
Greetings from Europe, Biljana

Jillian said...

Very nice makeover!

Suzanne@thriftstoredecorjunky said...

Love it! I have never used stain to antique, only glaze. This looks awesome.

Heather said...

I am new to your blog and it is amazing!! Could I do staining to a cabinet that has a plastic type cover. Not glossy plastic, but more textured. I have already used plastic spray paint to spray it cream, but think it would look great distressed. heatha100@gmail.com

Carrie said...

great job! they turned out perfectly shabby!!

Liz said...

Jen! Holy Moly! I had no idea you were so amazingly crafty! I was just looking at your family blog and I noticed the link to this one. You are amazing! and you do it all so cheap! (that's my favorite part) I long to be crafty and my house is in dier need of decorating, but I just never know what to do, or were to start. This is my new favorite blog! I will be checking it frequently! Thanks!