Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy Birthday to me!

I turned 31 the week before Christmas, and to celebrate, I got to redo my dresser! :D I know, I'm such a nerd! My husband asked what I wanted to do for my birthday, and I told him "Refinish our dresser." He just laughed and shook his head! It's a project that I've wanted to do for a while now, but never had the time. Jordan gave me the time by watching the kids, and letting me turn our bedroom into a crafting mess for a few days! Here are the details! 

First, I tried sanding it. I was doing this in my room, and even though I had a large drop cloth down, I didn't want to destroy my carpet with paint stain. Not to mention the smell. I got out my electric sander, and went to town...for a minute. It wasn't doing a great job. So I got out my hand sander, and although it took twice as long (at least!) it looked much better. But when moved from the top to the sides and front...I gave up. It was a nightmare, and I figured since I was painting over it anyway, why waste the time? (I was feeling very lazy at the moment!) I used Behr paint and primer in one (my new favorite paint - it's awesome!) in Tropical Tide. I'm pretty sure that the guy mixed the color above the one I'd picked. It was supposed to be a much deeper color. It sort of changed my plans for the whole look. I wasn't really going to distress it, but because it was so light, it needed some darkening. But I'll get back to that. 

After the first coat dried for 8 hours, I slapped on the 2nd, and let it go overnight. (I learned a very good, very long lesson about letting paint dry for the entire time recommended...one day I'll post about it!) On my birthday, before my parents left, I sanded down the drawers and wiped stain all over them, then wiped it off. Just a test. I loved it! (Shocker! ;} ) After they left, I went to town, and finished staining the entire thing. I let it dry for 24 hours before putting it all back together, but the end result...


Honestly, I love it. I know that I'm on a turquoise kick right now (and I'm not alone!) but it's such a great color! I also know it's pretty trendy, but the black was really looking shabby, and beat up. It was my first real refinish job, and it was just spray painted on - just two coats. I was ready to breath some new life into our room. I don't have pictures, but our bed has a turquoise and white quilt that I love, our nightstands (which are black...for now!) have turquoise candlestick lamps, and it all just ties together so nicely! I actually had a friend tell me that I need to stop already with the turquoise, but I can't! :D 

Oh, one other thing: I decided NOT to put a clear coat on this for a few reasons. 1) In a few years, when this trend has past (and I know it will, sadly), I really want to stain it a dark coffee color. The less I have to strip off, the better! :D 2) If it does get scratched up, I'm just going to put some stain over it - it will add to the shabbiness of it! :D  So, there it is! What do you think? Can you really over-use a favorite color? Am I really needing to back off the color? I don't think so...but I'm just curious. 

Linking up! 

6 comments:

Chrissie said...

I think its gorgeous! I love the turquoise.I would do whatever feels right to you, in the end your the one who lives with it!

Liz said...

I love it!! Do you want to re-do my dresser?? I bet you would love it. It's a beautiful Set I got when my grandparents died. It's super good quality, but in dier need of some moderness. I have been wanting to re-finish it since I got it (5 years) but am too scared to try! Maybe I'll have to have you come help me! ;)

Liz said...

Oh, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Meg said...

Wow, what a great b-day present! Ha! I love the color you chose. I give you props for doing this inside your house! Good thing hubby could do kid control--my kids would've been turquoise, too! ;)

I'm hosting an "our nest" sign giveaway! Hope you can join! alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

Kim @ Second Time Furniture said...

You did a lovely job! :)

Jessica Hills said...

Just wanted to let you know that I featured this post today on FTF! Thanks for linking up and grab a featured button if you would like one! :)