Thursday, June 30, 2011

Upstairs bathroom make-over

When we first bought our townhome, it was still being built. That meant that we got to choose all the fun details. It was my first time choosing and coordinating flooring, countertops, and such, and, well, let's just say I've learned a few things. :) When choosing countertops for my bathrooms, I wanted neutral, so I could decorate any color I wanted. However, I messed up, and didn't take into account that the cabinets would be Knotty Alder. I've hated both my bathrooms for this reason. The counter and the cabinets almost match. Dumb. It's been such an eyesore to me. Last summer, I painted my 1/2 bath cabinets black, and never regretted it. The upstairs bathroom is the most used, though, and in desperate need of a make-over. Finally, I just did it.

Here are some before pictures.



The walls were a baby blue. The short version to the story is that I let my husband choose the color. We both learned a lesson there. Now he makes me choose it on my own. :D

It wasn't ugly, but I just didn't love it.

And the after.

 

I know there are some people out there crying FOUL! for me painting over real wood cabinets. But you know what? It's my house, and I'm so happy that I did it! :D Think the whole room just comes together so well now. Oh, but it's now totally finished. One of these days, when there aren't a zillion things going on, we're going to frame that big ole monster mirror. I was going to take it down and put something else up, but too many horror stories have scared me away. :D So, I'll post that when it gets done.

Now, let me just tell you a little story. (Because every project has a story, right?)

I was so antsy to get this started that I made several BIG mistakes. And I really paid for them, both in time and money. First. I had a big gallon of almost white paint that I had sitting around. One afternoon, when my 1 year old went down for his nap, I just started painting. It wasn't until I'd done the first coat that I realized that I hadn't primed, or sanded. Oops. I didn't like how the paint was going on, so I ended up going to Home Depot and getting a gal. of their Behr paint/primer mix, hoping that would help my mistake. Oh, well, it didnt'. After 3 coats, I went to start distressing, and um, the paint started coming off. In strips. Big, long strips. And I started to cry.
{It had been such a long day. :( }

Soooo...I grabbed my big ole can of stripper, and started stripping. It was so discouraging. So much so that after I got it mostly stripped off, I left it. For 2 entire weeks. It was pathetic. However, my husband's response the mess was beautiful: "After all the refinishing projects you've done, it was inevitable that you'd mess up sooner or later!" Thanks, love. ;)

Finally, I'd had enough of the mess, and of my baby climbing in and out of the cupboards (since I hadn't put the doors back on). I got my little (?) butt to work again. And finished in 2 days. :) I'm so happy. Let me tell you what I did.

Sanded/stripped the heck out of the cupboards/doors/drawers.
2 coats Behr paint/primer in an almost white color.
Let it sit for 24 hours.
Spray painted all the knobs with Rustoleum Brushed Nickel - my new favorite paint! :) LOVE IT!
Distressed the doors/drawers just so...
Used my other new favorite thing - MinWax Wood Finish Stain Marker in Dark Walnut - to darken up the distressing.
Now, I'd heard about the whole, use your Distress Ink pad thing, and tried that, but it just wasn't doing what I wanted. I'd found this marker, and was like - WHAT?!?! Where has this been all my (crafting) life?! LOVE IT! The coolest part about it is that I can just rub in on the parts that I want stained, and keep the rest nice and clean. I cannot say enough about how much I love this pen. Love it. For real. Worth all $7.
Matched the hand towel holders to the cabinets.
Oh, I also used my cute wrapping paper to make that over-the-toilet- thing a bit cuter and bring in more turquoise, and sprayed those containers with the brushed nickel paint to tie it all together. Oh, and cutified my Cottonelle wipes tub. Cuz I'm just nerdy like that. :D

Now that I let that sit for a few days, I've got to put a few clear coats on it. But first, I have one final touch. I'll post it as soon as I get it on.
Happy crafting! =)







2 comments:

Jodi said...

I'm so proud of you (slash, jealous of your ambition!) Looks great! I didn't know you had this blog and I'm excited!

Carrie said...

LOVE the new colors in there. So fresh and soothing.