Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Park bench make-over

I have the reputation for always getting great stuff at our thrift store, the D.I. Do you want to know the secret? I go at least once a week. Saturday afternoons and Mondays are the best days, because everyone dumps their garage sale leftovers by then. :D A few weeks ago, I was there and not really looking for anything in particular. Then I found this gorgeous, totally weather-beaten bench.

And hauled it home. (Have I mentioned how much I love my Nissan Quest? This thing can haul ANYTHING! It puts some trucks to shame! :D)

Like I said, it was pretty weather beaten. I forgot to take a very good BEFORE picture until after I'd sanded and started staining. Check out the left arm for somewhat of an idea of it's before life.

I chose Minwax PolyShades Bombay Mahogany - I love this color! It's so rich and comforting! I also bleached out the cushions that came with it because I was NOT going to fork out $60 for two new cushions. That's more than triple what I paid for the bench itself! I did however splurge for three outdoor pillows from WalMart - I thought it made it look so inviting!

All finished! I put it up for sale on our classifieds site, as well as showed it to friends on Facebook. It was SOLD in literally 3 minutes! I had so many people that wanted to buy it! I definitely need to find another one of these to redo! :D
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

That looks fabulous! Great job!

Liz said...

Oh Jenn!! You are amazing! We are moving into a new house in 2 weeks, how I would love to have you come give me ideas. I am so clueless!! And I would love to go to your house to get ideas! And see you as well! We really need to get together!